Friday, April 1, 2011

Stations of the Cross, Twelfth Station

The Twelfth Station

Jesus dies on the Cross


We adore you, O Christ, and we praise you,
because by your holy Cross you have redeemed the world

It was now about the sixth hour, and there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour. And the sun was darkened, and the curtain of the temple was torn in the middle. Jesus cried out with a loud voice and said, "It is finished. Father, into your hands I commend my spirit." Then, bowing his head, he died. (Lk. 23, 44 to 46; Jn. 19, 30b)

Reflection: My people, what have I done to you? or in what have I offended you? Answer me. What more should I have done, and did not do? I led you out of the land of Egypt, and you prepared a cross for me. I opened the Red Sea before you, and you opened my side with a lance. I gave you a royal sceptre, and you have given me a crown of thorns. With great power I lifted you up, and you have hung me upon a cross. My people, what have I done to you, or in what have I offended you? Answer me. (From The Reproaches of Good Friday)

Let us pray: Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Click on the picture for a link to an excellently-done corresponding page on the Catholic Stations of the Cross.

No comments: