Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Ladybug Swarm

Here in Pennsylvania (for the last several years that I'm aware of) we've experienced an October ladybug infestation. Actually, I have just learned that they are not true ladybugs. Rather they are Multi-Colored Asian Lady Beetles, which were introduced into North America in the 90s for pest control.


Ladybug, Lady beetle.
Click on the picture for more information.
I won't bore you with the finer points of difference; instead you can read it for yourself if you are interested. Click HERE or HERE.

It usually happens during a warm spell after the first cold snap, which we are currently experiencing. A week of sunny days in the 60s after last week's snowfall. Today there was nowhere you could glance where you couldn't see dozens of them zipping through the air. Once we stepped outside, they were instantly flying right into our faces and ears. The white brick at the front of the house, warmed by the afternoon sun, was crawling with them. They covered the front door, and every time it opened, dozens of them would come inside. Even if we managed to keep them from coming in the open door, we'd still unwittingly bring them inside as they hitched a ride on our clothes and hair.

I have lost much of my squeamishness about bugs as I've "matured," and it's a darn good thing, because I can't tell you how many of them I had to catch and release. I don't like to kill them because they're harmless, and also because of the gross crackling sound they make. Also, I can't be squeamish when my husband isn't around, because now I must be The Brave One, The Vanquisher of Bugs and All Icky Things, so I can be Supermom for my crew of dependents.

As I type, there are scores of lady beetle sentinals lining every windowsill of the house. The light fixtures are also a huge attraction, and there are many little candy-dot-sized shadows in each light cover. I will be vacuuming up most of their dried-out carapaces in a few days, but it won't be a surprise if there are still a few left living in the dead of winter.


These pictures don't really do justice to the numbers of them, but I wasn't going to stay out there trying any longer with the little cretins flying into my ears. Yuck.







And finally, proof that what we are experiencing is absolutely piddling in comparison:

5D and EX1 Lady Bug Swarm from Michael Ramsey on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Oh my gosh, that's amazing! We have ladybugs up here, but I only see 2 or 3 in the summer, NOT 200 or 300!!