Monday, September 3, 2012

Why I Chose To Homeschool

In cleaning out our homeschool library, I finally found both pages of a list I made quite a few years ago.  I can't remember now exactly why I made this list.  I think it was because of something I read in a book - Catholic Homeschooling / A Patchwork of Days .  A sample of the book, including the table of contents, can be found here.

Anyway, the author recommended making a list of the reasons why you are homeschooling, and keeping it in a safe place so that you can whip it out when you just can't remember why you ever decided to do this in the first place.  I was probably close to that place when I made my list.  Upon reading it over, I can see now that several of them are not so much reasons to homeschool as they are benefits of homeschooling.  Whether you consider these good reasons or lame ones, valid or invalid, here's what I put down:


Why I Chose To Homeschool

- I love spending time with my children

- They were frequently bored in regular school

- We are not "morning people"

- We can study our own interests and pursue them as far as we want

- We don't have to stick to someone else's agenda for a curriculum

- Much time in regular school is taken up with busywork

- To shield my children from too many negative popular cultural influences and child cruelties "in the name of socialization"

- Because I am learning right alone with them and it's exciting to re-educate myself

- Because I love the "light bulb" moments and I doubt that it would go off as frequently in regular school, and I wouldn't be there to witness it

- It forces me to cultivate patience and become more organized

- I am learning how to understand my children and the way they think even better

- We as parents can be their principal role models longer than usual

- Side benefit - the children are more pleasant and get along better than ever

- We are all learning together alongside each other

- Side benefit - many great books are finding their way into our home

- It's counter-cultural!