Sunday, November 30, 2008

In Praise of the Egg

Consider the humble egg.

One of the cheapest sources of protein available. Ideal nourishment for anyone on a budget.

The egg is, in essence, a self-contained, nutritious environment for a potential embryo. Therefore, it is no surprise that it is second only to mother’s milk as the ideal food for people. Full of amino acids, protein, and varying amounts of 13 different vitamins, eggs are also moderately lean, containing about 5 grams of fat apiece.

There are probably hundreds of ways to prepare an egg. Poached, boiled, shirred, fried, pickled, whipped, and swallowed quickly, in one gulp, raw. And, like any fine actor, it plays supporting roles as deftly as leading ones. The egg is essential to most baked goods and desserts, to mayonnaise, custard, souffle and quiche; it enriches, binds, gives levity and fluffs, softens, smoothes and fortifies.

Versatile.
Compact.
Smooth.
Strong, yet fragile.
Genesis of life.
Mysterious.


Alluring.



Irresistible.



Just ask my twins.


Sunday morning after church, as I sat absorbed in my blogging, those egg-loving twins struck again. When will I learn?

I am not quite sure what they were trying to make...











But here is the primary perpetrator, doing her best not to be seen... (apologies to those who are not Python fans)

2 comments:

Kim said...

LOL! That picture on the couch is hysterical. Why she's innocent, I tell you! How could a sweet, unassuming little girl like that have ever made such a mess??!

What is it with eggs?! My girls were sitting in the front of the grocery cart, reached around and grabbed the carton of eggs I had just put in, and threw it on the ground!! Aaargh!

Very funny : )

twinmamabee said...

Oh my gosh!! That is hilarious!! My twin girls would do something like that...

Thanks for visiting my blog and I will be back!