Sunday, March 27, 2011

Stations of the Cross, Eighth Station

The Eighth Station

Jesus meets the women of Jerusalem


We adore you, O Christ, and we praise you,
because by your holy Cross you have redeemed the world.

There was following Jesus a great crowd of people, and among them were some women who were bewailing and lamenting him. Jesus turning to them said, "Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me, but weep for yourselves and for your children." (Luke 23, 27 and 28)

Reflection: Come, all you who pass by the way, look and see whether there is any suffering like my suffering, suffering with which the Lord has afflicted me on the day of his blazing wrath. At this I weep, my eyes run with tears: far from me are all who could console me, far away are any who might revive me. (Lam. 1, 12 and 16)

Let us pray: Beloved Jesus, with tears of pity these women of Jerusalem responded to You, broken, bruised, and beaten, on the road to Calvary. Deepen our faith, we beg You, so that we may see You in our brothers and sisters, bruised by our envy, beaten down by injustice, and broken by our greed and our indifference. Amen.

Click on the picture for a link to an excellently-done corresponding page on the Catholic Stations of the Cross.

No comments: