Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Stations of the Cross, Tenth Station

The Tenth Station

Jesus is stripped of his clothes


We adore you, O Christ, and we praise you,
because by your holy Cross you have redeemed the world.

They gave Jesus wine to drink mixed with gall; but when he had tasted it, he would not drink. Then after they had crucified him, they divided his clothes, casting lots, to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet, "They divided my clothes among them, and upon my garments they cast lots." (Mt. 27, 34 and 35)

Reflection: Happy is the man whom God chastises! Do not reject the punishment of the Almighty. For he wounds, but he binds up; he smites, but his hands give healing. Insult has broken my heart, and I am weak; I looked for comforters, and I found none. Rather they put gall in my food, and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink. (Job 5, 17 and 18; Ps. 68, 21 and 22)

Let us pray: Lord Jesus Christ, stripped of everything, you stood exposed to the jeers and contempt of the people whom You loved. Clothe us with genuine love of others, so that nothing we suffer may ever fill our hearts with hatred or bitterness. Amen.


Click on the picture for a link to an excellently-done corresponding page on the Catholic Stations of the Cross.

No comments: